West Waterford’s Seamus Power and Larne amateur Stephen Watts failed to qualify for the US Open via Monday’s Sectional Qualifying.
Watts, a Junior at the Univesity of Toledo in Ohio, shot rounds of 73 and 71 at Springfield Country Club in Ohio to finish on four-over par, 11 strokes outside the qualifying places.
Canada’s Corey Conners (-12) and Americans Brian Stuard (-9), Brice Garnett (-8) and Ryan Brehm (-7) advanced to next week’s US Open at Erin Hills.
Power teed it up in the Germantown Country Club and Ridgeway Country Club qualifier in Memphis, Tennessee but withdrew after opening with one-over 72 at Ridegway as Steve Stricker led the nine qualifiers on 10-under par.
Stricker, who lives about an hour and 15 minutes from Erin Hills and was turned down for a special exemption by the USGA, shot 67 in his morning round at Ridgeway Country Club and then made the short trek to Germantown Country Club and fired a 65 to lead the qualifiers.
Stewart Hagestad, the low amateur at the Masters who played in the Irish Amateur Open at Royal County Down and the Carey Cup at Galway Bay recently, qualified in third place at his home club of Big Canyon in Newport Beach.
US Open Sectional Qualifying
- Jupiter Hills Club, Tequesta, Fla.
- Hawks Ridge Golf Club, Ball Ground, Ga.
- Woodmont Country Club, Rockville, Md.
- Canoe Brook Country Club, Summit, N.J.
- Brookside Golf & C.C./The Lakes Golf & C.C., Columbus, Ohio
- Springfield Country Club, Springfield, Ohio
- Germantown C.C./Ridgeway C.C., Memphis, Tenn.
- Lakewood Country Club, Dallas, Texas
- Tacoma Country & Golf Club, Lakewood, Wash.
- Big Canyon C.C./Newport Beach C.C. Newport Beach, Calif.
from News – Irish Golf Desk http://ift.tt/2rFDTCv