Georgia Carr. Picture: Pat Cashman Photography
Defending champions Ulster fell 5.5-2.5 to Leinster on the opening day of the Women’s Interprovincial Matches at Shannon.
However, there was better luck for defending Girls’ champions Leinster as they saw off their Ulster counterparts 6-2.
Leinster’s girls won the morning foursomes with wins for Georgia Carr and Emma Fleming and Jan Browne and Anna Foster before singles wins for Kate Lanigan, Leah Temple-Lang and Ellen O’Gorman secured a 6-2 win ahead of Wednesday’s clash with Munster, who drew 4.5-4.5 with Connacht.
It was also a 3-0 for the Leinster Women against defending champions Ulster in the morning foursomes with Irish Close runner up Ciara Casey and Mary Doyle carding five birdies in their closing six holes to beat Jessica Ross and Louise Coffey by one hole.
Aedin Murphy and Ariana Coyle Diez were comfortably under par in their 4 and 3 win over Chloe Weir and Jennifer Fawcett.
Ulster battled in the afternoon with Louise Coffey defeating Casey 6 and 4.
However, Deirdre Smith showed her experience by winning 6 and 5 against Lurgan’s Niamh Ward to give Leinster their first point of the afternoon.
Murphy then beat Chloe Weir on the 18th green and while Coffey and Niamh McSherry secured two points for Ulster against Casey and Ariana Coyle Diez, 10-foot putt on the last was enough for Jessica Ross to halve with Meadhbh Doyle.
The Connacht Girls’ won two of their three foursomes but the afternoon singles were tight.
Shannon Hegarty won 6 and 5 with Roscommon’s Chloe O’Connor levelling with a win over Kate McElroy by the same margin.
Maeve Rooney and Aine Donegan halved their match and Niamh O’Dwyer beat Sinead Lohan 2 and 1 leaving Anna Dawson and Annabel Greham to decide the tie.
One ahead on the 18th, Dawson hit her approach over the back while Greham, who had to lay up, hit it close for birdie to secure the half point and the match.
The Connacht Women’s team banked just half a point in the morning courtesy of Anne McCormack and Shannon Burke.
However, while Burke went one better in the afternoon, overcoming Sarah Cunningham by two holes, and McCormack beat Gemma McCarthy, wins for Lisa O’Shea, Karen O’Neill and a half point for Aoife Lowry against Enniscrone’s Hilary Hall gave Munster a 5 – 3 victory.
Women’s and Girls’ Interprovincials, Shannon Golf Club
- Weds 12th July: Connacht vs. Ulster, Munster vs. Leinster
Thursday 13th July: Ulster vs. Munster, Leinster vs. Connacht
Women’s Interprovincials Day 1
Leinster 5.5, Ulster 2.5 (Leinster names first)
- Ciara Casey & Mary Doyle beat Jessica Ross & Louise Coffey 1 hole
- Meadhbh Doyle & Molly Dowling beat Niamh McSherry & Niamh Ward 3&1
- Aedin Murphy & Ariana Coyle Diez beat Chloe Weir & Jennifer Fawcett 4&3
- Ciara Casey lost to Louise Coffey 6&4
- Deirdre Smith beat Niamh Ward 6&5
- Aedin Murphy beat Chloe Weir 1 hole
- Ariana Coyle-Diez lost to Niamh McSherry 5&3
- Meadhbh Doyle halved with Jessica Ross
Munster 5, Connacht 3 (Munster names first)
- Sarah Cunningham & Karen O’Neill beat Maeve Kelly & Hilary Hall 4&2
- Aoife Lowry & Paula Walsh halved with Anne McCormack & Shannon Burke
- Kelly Brotherton & Lisa O’Shea beat Zoe Collins & Clodagh Hopkins 6&5
- Sarah Cunningham lost to Shannon Burke 2 holes
- Karen O’Neill beat Maureen Keane 2&1
- Lisa O’Shea beat Zoe Collins 3&2
- Gemma McCarthy lost to Anne McCormack 2 holes
- Aoife Lowry halved with Hilary Hall
Girls’ Interprovincials Day 1
Leinster 6, Ulster 2 (Leinster names first)
- Georgie Carr & Emma Fleming beat Beth Coulter & Maeve Cummins 2&1
- Ellen O’Gorman & Kate Lanigan beat Emma Forbes & Kate Dwyer 1 hole
- Jan Browne & Anna Foster beat Nicole Joyce Moreno & Anna McVicker 3&2
- Georgia Carr lost to Beth Coulter 2&1
- Kate Lanigan beat Emma Forbes 1 hole
- Leah Temple-Lang beat Maeve Cummins 5&3
- Jan Browne lost to Kate Dwyer 2 holes
- Ellen O’Gorman beat Nicole Joyce-Moreno 1 hole
Munster 4.5, Connacht 4.5 (Munster names first)
- Aine Donegan & Anna Dawson beat Maeve Rooney & Sinead Lohan 6&5
- Kate McElroy & Niamh Carmody lost to Chloe O’Connor & Niamh Smyth 2&1
- Niamh O’Dywer & Gemma Barry lost to Annabel Greham & Vicki Conlon 1 hole
- Aine Donegan halved with Maeve Rooney
- Kate McElroy lost to Chloe O’Connor 6&5
- Niamh O’Dwyer beat Sinead Lohan 2&1
- Anna Dawson halved with Annabel Greham
- Shannon Hegarty beat Shona Hendrick 6&5.
from News – Irish Golf Desk http://ift.tt/2ubyPJp